Sunday, August 21, 2011

Teaching and Teachers and how to get it done.

I just had a great discussion with one of my best friends regarding the state of the educational system...one of the biggest debates going on within the educational ranks is how to teach students and exactly what methodology to use. I for one do not understand this...we have a model that worked. Back in the 60's we offered a wonderful education system, it assumed that 99% of students was the target...it was narrow but heavy on math, english, social studies and science. Electives were few and left for the College experience. What we got out of this system was a highly educated populace that could read, write and do math...we all understood our planet and earth sciences somewhat and went about reinventing the world and how it operates. Anyway, I got up this morning in Key West and saw an editorial cartoon I thought was great, and spoke to this problem of how to teach, it read: You Know...I've been studying the paper, and I think we need a study to study the studies and make sure we don't have too many studies being studied! Bob, this one's for you, good luck this year at school. Keep the faith and do your best regardless (I know, easy to say).

No comments:

Post a Comment