Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Getting Educated in DC

So Nancy started talking about the buildings all being the same size and we noticed all the statues likewise look about the same...good pickup by my wife, in DC building height is limited to 130 feet (which they all use) and likewise statues have a 19' maximum height limit...mystery solved.

We learned (and I should have realized) that Canada and the US have the longest non-militarized border in the world. We like those Canucks!

All flags are at 1/2 staff when a burial service is taking place at Arlington Cemetery. With 7 average per day they are almost always at 1/2 staff.

I learned if you lie to Congress you can get 20 years in the Federal Pen, but if a member of Congress lies to you there is no punishment. Hardly seems fair.

The guy who gifted the money to start the Smithsonian Institute was from England and never entered or took one step in the USA...apparently he was snubbed by the Royal Academy of Science and decided to leave all his mullah to further the scientific community and learning centers. Their loss was certainly our gain. The Museum of Natural Science is the most visited museum in the world. Oh ya, the guys last name was Smithson.

The guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, pace along the tomb 21 paces, rest for 21 seconds, and then turn and return 21 paces...this has gone on since 1921 without any disruption.

I know I've learned more but I've forgotten right now...if I remember I will add to this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment