Monday, September 19, 2011

Our day today.

  In Colorado there is always a defining day when fall begins. Cool breezes bring the temperature down and almost immediately you start seeing a difference in the landscape, leaves start turning colors and falling everywhere. It is one of the best times of the year and a personal favorite for Nanc and I. In 5terre this same thing occurred yesterday, cool winds have brought the temperatures way down, so many leaves have dropped in the square, all the restaurants had to move the tables and sweep up. The the biggest sign of fall...we had to put blankets on the bed and close some of the windows. Brrrr, its cold in here this morning. I’m sure the hot days will return, at least for a while, but the march to fall weather has begun. One of my contacts in Italy told me that by December 1st, when we leave for Australia, the cold weather will begin and we will be ready to move on. 
Look at these colors...early today.

Getting cold...empty beach.

Just had lunch...very happy.

Rainbow bike...gay movement?

Boats coming in early.

Must be bad if their scaring the tourist.
     The new day is bright and blue and shiny...already starting to warm up...another great day in the 5terre. The weather has changed fast...good, bad, good??? 
    One of the many charming aspects of staying/living in Corniglia, is the church bells. It’s the way we are keeping track of the time. Each hour the bells do their count and at the 1/2 hour a single ding. Twice a day at 7:30am and 7:30pm they play out a long tune, it is so cool. I can’t remember the last time I heard church bells in Colorado, we live within a few blocks of tons of churches and no bells. Anyway, I find this so appealing, its kind of like hearing the distant train whistle like we do in Loveland. Its reminds me of days gone by.
     I also find it interesting that there is total lack of fashion or style in the village (Imean, come on, it’s still Italy). Nancy and I fit here perfectly (having no style). Don’t get me wrong, all the locales look nice and dress appropriately, but not with some higher sense of style. People don’t wear clothing just to be showy, if its not sensible, they just don’t wear it. The tourist on the other hand are “Hiker Chic”, which of course isn’t stylish per say, however, you can easily pick out the people who visit REI. There have been a couple times at night we have seen a plunging neck line and impossibly high heels, but this is very unusual and generally draws stares from tourists and locales alike. So now my secret is out...I’m not stylish. My children, for years, have kidded me about having my own style...NONE!
     We spent our day on the move, it was so nice when we got up neither of us really wanted to sit around. We decided to go get Nancy’s lotion and just kick around Monterosso. We caught the 11:30 train, visited the Farmacia, did a little clothes shopping (yes, I bought a Tshirt that you’ll be seeing in lots of pictures) and then revisited a little restaurant that we really like previously.  Man these guys know food...their creamy pesto is to die for and the bruschetta is heaven! The day started turning cloudy and threatening so we caught the 3pm train home. After the 382 steps we stopped for a little Gelato, sat around the square for a while and then came back to the flat. I'm sitting outside writing this and still no rain...man it looked bad when we left Monterosso. Maybe the weather is like that??? Still learning my way.......
     Think I'll go see what the sunset has to offer. Ciao.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment