Thursday, September 15, 2011

On the water, on the ferry.

What a peaceful day we had. Got up, had a cappuccino, and planned our itinerary. Today its the Ferry! Not having any idea of the ferry schedule, we made our plans, and then the ferry schedule changed them. We had hoped to take the train to Monterosso, the ferry to La Spezia, do a little shopping and then the train back to Corniglia around 6pm. We didn’t realize the ferry only went as far as Portovenere, then you had to catch a second ferry to Le Spezia. By the time we finished our lunch, the times got kind of screwy, and we couldn't really follow our original plan. No sweat, Plan B! We bought ferry tickets to Riomaggiore and took the train home from there. We can leave La Spezia and shopping until tomorrow, I mean, we don't have jobs.
His body language says...please rent me...after siesta!

A dress shop in Monterosso...this mural is against one of the walls...no idea why, but it is so Italy.

Me lookin sharp and Nanc in her new hat!

This little boy will grow to be a man of the sea...look at how relaxed he is already and they were going fast.

This is a pretty cool poster for the 5terre Nazionale Parco.

Arriving in Riomaggiore

Oh sure, just stack another building on top of that pink one. Shouldn't be any problems.

OK, I'll tie up the boat, hoist it up above us and make a little shade...no sweat!
     Nancy and I really like Monterosso...I know...you’ll say its the most touristy, true...its got the most people, true...its got new buildings and just lacks the feel of the other villages, true true true! But it is a fun, cool little beach town. They have a kind of beach walk, great restaurants anywhere you look and a great vibe. The people are helpful, the service is good and it’s like they realize without tourist they’d have no town (or at least no jobs). If Nancy and I ever come back this way we will definitely consider Monterosso as a place to stay. Don’t get me wrong, we love Corniglia. It has by far the most laid back, easy going feel of all the five villages, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the whole place who’s even in a bad mood. The mellow just melds into you (or you into it). 
     The Ferry was cool, took about 40 minutes, and gave us a chance to see the whole 5terre from the water. I got some pretty good pics, but I think you can actually get better pictures walking between the villages. I will of course test that theory every time I walk somewhere, because my camera is now in my pocket always. Coming into Vernazza was wondeful, passing Corniglia I felt didn’t really give you a good view of the place, Manarola I couldn’t really see the town well enough for pictures and Riomaggiore, was awesome. I also want to add that leaving Monterosso was pretty special. Anyway it was a good time and only $16euro for the 2 of us
     A few days ago, I went out and purchased some Vodka and tonic to enjoy at cocktail hour (which is getting close). Wine is for dinner but I love a little vodka to relax with. Right now we are just chillin, me considering a cocktail and Nanc in the other room with her feet up, contemplating her day.
     No great life lessons today or even deep thoughts, just a day to connect with the sea, the land, some great food and my favorite girl. I hope you all had as peaceful a day as we did. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment