Friday, October 7, 2011

Different Cultures and Customs

       There is a great difference between visiting a place as a tourist and actually residing there. In 1995 Nancy and I decided to move to St. Thomas,USVI...this move was based upon 2 short vacations to the island. During our holidays there we experienced the idyllic island life, fun filled days on the water and adventure around every corner. The charm of island time and the “don’t worry be happy” attitude of the people. Of course on these trips we had cruise ship concierge desk help, the first time, and friends who lived there making everything smooth, the second. We envisioned this style of life was available if we moved there. The reality was quite a bit different. If you’ve ever read “Don’t Stop the Carnival” (which is one of the all time great books), you have an appreciation of what it was really like. Around every corner was actually frustration and bewildering problems that dog you daily. My love of “Island Time” soon turned into “pulling my hair out time”. I wanted just a little efficiency in a place that had none.
      In some ways I find Italy very similar to the islands. I love this place and find it amazing in many ways but man can it get frustrating. Listen to my day yesterday:
      We wanted to do a little cooking in the oven and could not figure out the stove settings...when we turned the indicator button to the figure representing the broiler all was fine, red light went on and the broiler heated up...all good. However when we turned indicator to any other setting (minimum, 175 - 275, and maximum), no red light indicated it was working and there is no heat. We were pretty sure the heat indicators were in celsius but not positive. Anyway I couldn’t get the thing working so I sent an email off to my landlord asking for instructions, encouragement or pity...whichever he could provide. Now Italian stoves are unusual...this one has a gas stove top and electric broiler, just like our last one in Corniglia, everything I’ve ever owned or used is one or the other, not both. So get this...I receive an email back explaining the system with this stove/oven...ready...the stove top is gas, the broiler electric and the oven is gas...evidently I need to light the gas at the bottom of the oven every time I use it...our stove/oven in Corniglia was strictly gas on top and electric on the bottom. I had similar problems getting it to work because there was a light switch I needed to turn on to supply the stove with electricity. Yikes...these appliances own me! 
       
 Also,
       ...a good part of our day was spent running down a location where we could pay our Wind Italia Account. When I purchased my Chiavette (Mobile Key for Internet), and Monthly Service Plan, the guy told me there would be Wind Italia Account Payment Locations everywhere, making me believe on almost every corner. The reality is, these places, if they exist, are hidden. After spending a couple hours trying to figure this out I finally decided to drive to Terni (the second largest city in Umbria), thinking a place that big would have to have something, a long drive but worth getting this off my mind. So, as I’m driving thru this wide spot in the road (Giove) I glimpse a Wind Sign in a Tobacco shop. I quickly park and run in, sure enough I can make my payment there. What a strange system...I mean these guys (Wind Italia) are huge in Italy...a small tobacco shop??? Nuts! Whatever, I’m happy to check one more thing off my to-do list. 
       These problems are really more funny than serious but they still make you frustrated, confused and perplexed. Italy is that place where beauty meets weird. When I got an email back from my landlord concerning a Wind Payment Center, he informed me there was one in Amelia and anyone could direct me to it...I had asked at least 10 people and no one had a clue this place even existed, including his sister...
       ....and the stove is a piece of machinery created just to confuse people...again this from my landlord...” I remember yelling at the oven, and the world, myself the first time I tried to turn it on; for some reason there's always something a little weird about Italian appliances”. See its not just me, remember this guy is Italian!
       Like they say in the islands mon...”Don’t worry be happy”...I love Italy.       
Once every hundred years celebration.

The most ignored sign in the world.

Night at the center of town.

1 comment: